Thursday 10 March 2011

30. Apocolypse Now

What it's about
A man goes on a boat trip.

What I thought
I loved the soundtrack and the helicopters.

What Mum thought
Mum had seen this one before. "It has some great scenes, memorable quotes, great cinematography and I'm always surprised this made it to being a film. 16 months filming, Brando turning up overweight and knowing little about what he was there to do, the helicopters used were fighting in a war at the same time as filming was taking place, certainly a lot of work went into the film making it what it is. Having said that, it's just far too long, especially the Redux version we watched with the extra scenes which quite frankly ruin the film. Worst one has to be the scene in the parked helicopter and the Playboy playmates. Ugh."

What Dad thought
Dad had seen this one before."Apocalypse now? More like Apocalypse wow! I last saw this film about a decade ago and while I liked it at the time I was more impressed with the action scenes then any characterisation or plot. This time I found myself greatly impressed with the story of descent into madness.

The characters were so vivid and bigger then life. The surfing Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore is one of my favourite characters, not just in this film, but ever. I would actually follow him to war. Probably wouldn’t last long but it would be an adventure.

Sheen’s performance as he heads to meet his target is deeply moving and the closing scene is almost haunting. Though I had to watch the film in two sittings (its bloody long) I loved it.

If I had to make a criticism it would be with the version I watched, Redux, there is an added scene on a French Plantation half way up the river. This return to civilisation just when he is on the road to damnation really jarred and didn’t add anything to the film. It should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Ultimately an excellent film and probably my favourite war movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment