Sunday 6 March 2011

26. Mr Smith Goes to Washington

What it's about
A very nice man gets to go work in Washington where other people lie about him.

What I thought
I like James Stewart a lot, I smile when he's on telly. I got a little bored with this film though.

What Mum thought
Mum had seen this one before. "I'm a big fan of both James Stewart and Frank Capra, and this partnership doesn't disappoint. Stewart is brilliant as the awestruck, naive yet stubborn Jefferson Smith and I love the filibuster scenes. Jean Arthur is also fab as the savvy assistant. A classic film in which, as the story itself is a rather stylised statement concerning US politics, the characters really make the difference."

What Dad thought
First time for Dad. "This should be a good film. This should be a film that I rate very highly indeed. David versus Goliath with Goliath being a corrupt government and David a naive but patriotic man? This should be right up my street. But its not.

Stewart doesn’t really impress me with his performance. I didn’t feel moved by his filibuster and the situations were ridiculous. Grown men beating boy scouts to stop them getting the story out? The government just believing this guy was trying to screw the scouts? I was thoroughly disappointed.

Sorry, I really wanted to like this one."

No comments:

Post a Comment