Saturday 5 March 2011

25. To Kill a Mockingbird


What it's about
A little girl tells the story of her very brave and kind father.

What I thought
I thought the kids were lovely, I wanted to be there friend. I liked Atticus a lot too.

What Mum thought
Mum hadn't seen this one before. "I've read the book but never seen this film. Peck is Atticus Finch, a brilliant portrayal as well as excellent performances from the rest of the cast. A timeless classic everyone should see."

What Dad thought
First time for Dad. "This was a decent film dealing with some serious issues. Atticus is a cool main character, far ahead of his time in dealing with his children (they don’t call him dad, how cool?) and his attitudes.

His bravery in standing between a lynch mob and the innocent Tom with nothing but a smile and a book is a true piece of cinema history. John Wayne may have sought justice with a six shooter and his fists but here is a man who uses debate and rhetoric to defend people. Oh, and he just happens to be the best shot in the county anyway!

Ultimately I find the subtle heroes much more impressive then those who enter stage left with guns blazing and this coupled with the themes of the film lead me to believe it deserves its place on the AFI list. If anything it could be a little higher."

3 comments:

  1. such a great film. and one of the best books we were forced to read at school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I studied this at school too and I'm looking forward to seeing it at the theatre soon. Fab photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely film & a really stunning book that I've not read for a long time now...

    And a rather disturbing photo. He looks sooooooooooooooo grown up!!!

    ReplyDelete