Friday 18 February 2011

24. E.T.: The Extraterrestrial

What it's about
An alien gets left behind, he's befriended by a little boy.

What I thought
I liked this one. The alien made cute noises and I liked the little girl.

What Mum thought
Mum had seen this one before. "This is a film that should be watched as a child, then never, ever again. I had fond memories of it. Watching as an adult, it is a sickly-sweet pile of rubbish. ET is far from cute. And, as someone who gets quite emotional during films, not even the slightest tug at my heart when ET died. The positive points - I still like the bond between Elliot and ET (such as Elliot screaming when ET was scared by the umbrella) and watching my daughters watch ET was pretty cool.

Oh, and why did the guy in the spacesuit try and get in through the window? And why did they have spacesuits on? Re-watching it has caused me pain."

What Dad thought
Dad had seen this one before. "To be honest, this was disappointing. I loved this film as a child but as an adult... all I'm thinking is somewhere a race has developed faster than light travel but not the passenger manifest.

Elliot's a bit of an idiot but Spielberg plays on our emotions. Who doesn't get a bit choked up when his pet alien dies? The bike chase is still cool and some of the gags bring a chuckle but overall this film took up a place on the list that should have gone to the Goonies. The kids will love it; we'll put up with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment