Wednesday 26 January 2011

16. Sunset Blvd.

What it's about
A writer meets a mad old woman who gives him lots of pressies.

What I thought
I liked the man's voice. I also liked the organ music Max played.

What Mum thought
Mum's seen this before. "I lurve this film. Swanson's character is fabulous, totally lost in her own world, she's incredible. Max, Erich von Stroheim, is a wonderful character too who is so protective of Desmond.

It had been so long since my first viewing of this that I'd forgotten how brilliant the writing was for it. So many quotable lines and Holden's narration is full of dry wit."

What Dad thought
First time for Dad. "I loved this film. The narration reminded me of Raymond Chandler and I've always had a soft spot for that genre. The language used is amazingly simple yet poetic. The performances were strong (some might say over-the-top but that's the point, isn't it?) and the actors had a great story to work with. Decades before American Beauty we have a fantastic twist and some of the most quotable lines in cinematic history."

No comments:

Post a Comment